Monday, November 5, 2012

Goal Setting


This is my dog, Em, in 2007, when my evenings and weekends were spent training and showing my own dogs. They were my hobby and my passion and we loved working on adding new skills and improving each week. I am posting this because Em will be 9 years old in December, and I have forgotten how much fun I had working my own dogs. I am setting a goal for this ninth year, and I am hoping that putting it into a blog will force me to keep working on my goal and not put other things ahead of this really important one. Em needs to finish her title in obedience competition...we have one leg and need two more to complete her CD and this will earn her a VCD1 (Versatile Companion Dog 1). She is a talented puppy with titles in tracking, agility, hunting and rally obedience but we have done little competition obedience in the last eight years. I know that if something were to happen to her, I would always regret not completing this goal with her.

Em was a wild looking puppy made every training session fun because she was so happy to work and figure out the game. She has been retired for the last four years as I have taken up training professionally and focused on growing a business. Em and my other dog, Hunter, welcome dogs into my home that are in need of training and structure. I say they are paid in kibble to do nothing but watch and occasionally participate in group sit-stays and come. I think that they like the system of "the new guy has to work" and they just get rewarded for watching and being still. Retired is the perfect word to describe their lives.

Diva Em, once retired, will now have to sing for her supper. I am unsure if she will love the idea of working again. I hope that she will be as committed to this goal as I am in the coming months. I guess this blog will help to keep me honest and chronicle our training journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment